How to support streamers
Many users feel bad about not giving streamers money through donations and subscribing. Don’t!
In fact, I’d say a way more important contribution is being a cheerleader and positive influence for a streamer and their community.
Another is valuing streamers’ time; time you spend clipping and reporting is time they save for having to do the same. A single report of a threatening or abusive person isn’t likely to do much anyway.
- Be a good and diligent clipper!1
- Notify streamers, or their mods, of threats and stolen work
- Greet and be nice to other people in Twitch chat and on Discord
- Don’t be nervous about typing on Twitch chat and Discord!
- Like and retweet important posts
- Not their live notifications
- Upvote their work on YouTube and other places2
- Downvote and report the idiots
- Hype up the chat when a stream is starting
- Spread positivity in tweet and YouTube comments
- Report bad Clips and clippers, and notify the streamer3
- Report bad users
- Inside and outside Twitch
- Don’t engage with idiots; leave them alone and report
- Goes for Twitter, Twitch, YouTube, Discord etc
- … and don’t be creepy
And last but not least: don’t make the streamer look bad, especially by association with their community. In the famous words of Leon:
if you reply to something i retweeted and insist on including me in the reply please do not fucking embarass me— leon (@leyawn) June 22, 2017
Spread positivity, not negativity—even if you think the person deserves it. Ignore or report.
Personally, I would prefer it if you didn’t submit my Clips to places like Reddit, because things can get toxic very quickly. And people love to downvote stuff for no reason.
Please think twice about sharing Clips of female streamers.
Viral Clips mean new viewers, and it’s important to be mindful of what corners of the Internet you’re recruiting from. ↩︎
People only seem to use up- and downvoting systems for mass downvoting, so upvoting makes a big difference; not just for SEO, but especially as a defence against downvoting campaigns and whiny little shits. ↩︎
Since only broadcasters and editors can remove clips, let the streamer know directly if there are some bad-faith Clips.
Make a note of trends like the same user making the Clips or a high level of traffic (viewers) going to the Clips which suggests coordination. ↩︎